Sunday, February 9, 2014

Trust in Him


I must confess, I do not always trust God. I often rely on myself, others, or family for my answers to life's probing questions. Yet, as I look back at this week, God has shown me through at least two separate instances that I need to learn to trust him more.

The first instance was through reading Psalm 91. I began my week by reading Psalm 91, and all week it kept on coming to mind, then today as I re-looked at that specific Psalm, its a Psalm all about trusting God. Psalm 91 gives reasons to; God because he has saved many from their perils in the past, in 91:10 it says "no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent", referring to saving the Israelites from the plagues in Exodus. This Psalm also talks about how God will be a defence in times of trouble, a deity that we can return to when life gets rough - Psalm 91:1-2 "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust". 

The second instance occurred through a song called Oceans by Hillsong United.  It's a beautiful song that I've been listening to off and on all week. It talks about how God has called each and every one of us to be His. One line in particular says, "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders, let me walk upon the waters, wherever you will call me.Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander, and my faith will be made stronger, in the presence of my Saviour". This song is all about trusting God and letting him lead you through rough and stormy waters. Though circumstances may completely drag you down, God will always be there to lead you out of the stormy waters, and you will never sink when he is the one you put your trust in. 

It's funny how God can use two separate things during my week to show me that my trust in Him was lacking, and He was so specific as to point out a situation that had been on my mind all week. He showed me that my friendship with this particular person was in his hands, that I should stop worrying over it, that the questioning was to be left up to him. Trusting his good plan for my life is the best thing for me to do right now, because by worrying I know I will get no farther than I was yesterday. No amount of googling, questioning, or wondering will change anything about my current situation - but God can. 

Trust isn't an easy thing, and I know that, especially when a situation seems uncertain or we are used to being let down. But I know for sure that when we trust God to take care of a situation, he always pulls through, he keeps his promises and never lets us down. Psalm 37:5 says "Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will act", this is as much of a command as it is a promise. God promises that when we give him our burdens, our troubles, and our worries, that he will take them, and secure him with his promise that he will never leave us or forsake us, nor will he leave us fighting on our own. 

I will leave you with Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight". I highly recommend you take a look at Oceans by Hillsong United - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9nwe9_xzw . God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment